YEMEN Press Agency

Shabwa construction sector shuts down in protest at government levies

SHABWA, May 23 (YPA) – Owners of brick, concrete, and crusher factories in Shabwa province declared on Saturday a comprehensive strike in protest against new taxes imposed on transport vehicles and construction materials by Saudi-backed local authorities.

Local sources said the decision followed the imposition of additional levies on trucks transporting construction materials, including fees exceeding 15,000 riyals, almost $62.85, per load, as well as charges of around 6,000 riyals on each concrete mixer.

They added that enforcement measures included detaining those who refuse to pay, with fines reaching 100,000 riyals required for release.

Factory owners and truck drivers said the policies had caused significant financial losses and placed heavy burdens on workers in the sector, calling for the cancellation of “illegal fees.”

The measures have also contributed to rising construction material prices in local markets, further increasing economic pressure on residents amid worsening living conditions.

The latest levies on factories come after similar financial charges were previously imposed on workshop owners in the city of Ataq.