BAGHDAD, Aug. 23 (YPA) – Iraq’s Ministry of Defense declared on Sunday that September 30 will be the final deadline for the withdrawal of international coalition forces from the country.
According to the official Iraqi News Agency, Major General Tahseen al-Khafaji, Director of Media at the Ministry of Defense’s Moral Guidance Directorate, said that September 30 is the final deadline, in line with the timetable agreed upon by the Iraqi government and the international coalition.
He stressed that the date was not decided recently, but rather came as a result of prior planning and ongoing work in accordance with the agreed timetable. He added that, as the prime minister had noted, the day will be a distinctive national and sovereign occasion for Iraqis.
Maj. Gen. al-Khafaji stressing that Iraqi security forces are fully prepared to assume responsibility for national security.
He said the deadline was agreed upon in advance between Iraq and the coalition and represents a sovereign and national milestone for Iraq.
Al-Khafaji emphasized that the army, Defense and Interior ministries, and other security forces have demonstrated their ability to protect the country and borders, combat terrorism and manage major national, religious and international events.
He added that Iraq will remain free to pursue military training, arms procurement and defense cooperation with any country, while cooperation with countries that previously supported Iraq will continue in areas including weapons and capacity building.