OCCUPIED PALESTINE, Feb. 18 (YPA) – Israeli occupation forces raised their security alert in the occupied West Bank, including East Quds (Jerusalem), on Wednesday as Palestinians observed the first day of the holy month of Ramadan, Israeli media reported.
“The security establishment is raising the level of alert in several arenas as of this morning with the start of the month of Ramadan, with special focus on East Jerusalem, areas of the West Bank, and the seam line,” the occupation broadcaster KAN said.
The move comes “in anticipation of possible friction (with Palestinians) at flashpoints, and alongside continued strict security assessments in light of regional tensions, particularly with regard to Iran,” it added.
KAN said thousands of Israeli police and Border Police officers will be deployed across East Quds (Jerusalem), especially around the Old City, and the vicinity of the al-Aqsa Mosque compound.
It added that the Israeli authorities have imposed restrictions on worshippers from the West Bank who want to enter Jerusalem.
Occupation authorities recommended limits on the number of worshippers and age restrictions, especially on Fridays, when tens of thousands are expected at Al-Aqsa Mosque.
The report said that, so far, no temporary restrictions have been placed on Israeli settlers entering Al-Aqsa, despite concerns about reducing friction.
It added that the Israeli security forces remain on high alert on the northern and regional fronts. Internal forces are also maintaining a high level of readiness amid tensions with Iran.
@E.Y.M