YEMEN Press Agency

UNRWA calls for investigation into targeting of Gaza’s UN facilities

GAZA, April 03 (YPA) – Philippe Lazzarini, Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), announced that Israeli occupation forces targeted an agency building in the northern Gaza Strip, killing nine children, including a two-week-old infant, and wounding dozens.

In a post on X, Lazzarini said, “Even the rubble was not spared from the bombing in Gaza. Israeli forces targeted the UNRWA building in Jabalia, north of the Strip,” in a post on X, Lazzarini said.

He noted that the building was previously used as a health center before sustaining severe damage due to the ongoing attacks.

Lazzarini explained that the building was targeted while was sheltering approximately 700 displaced people, as Palestinians who had found no other shelter had sought refuge there.

He added that the survivors of the bombing were unable to leave, despite the destruction caused to the building.

The UNRWA official revealed that over 300 UN facilities have been attacked or completely destroyed since the beginning of the war, despite their coordinates being regularly shared with the warring parties.”

The UN official added that “more than 700 people have been killed while trying to seek shelter inside UN facilities.”

Lazzarini stressed that targeting UN facilities and personnel constitutes a clear violation of international law, calling for an independent investigation into attacks on UN facilities to ensure those responsible be held accountable.

Since October 7, 2023, the unlimited American-supported the Israeli occupation forces have continued their aggression against Gaza, killing more than 165,000 Palestinians, mostly children and women, amid a stifling blockade and a catastrophic deterioration of the humanitarian situation in the Strip.

AA