SANAA, Aug. 12 (YPA) – The United Nations said that about 29,000 Yemenis have been displaced repeatedly due to heavy rains and floods during the past days in a number of provinces.
“At least 16 provinces, out of all 22 Yemeni provinces, have been affected by heavy rains throughout 2020, including the continuous floods since March,” Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, said in a statement.
Floods have led to frequent displacement of people, as about 29,000 people have already been displaced in the affected areas, according to the statement.
Dujarric pointed out that “the humanitarian response plan for Yemen has been funded by only 21 percent, so far,” and he urged donors to pay all suspended pledges immediately and to consider increasing their support.
He added that the limited donor funding is forcing the essential programs to close or reduce support across various sectors, including food, water, health and nutrition.
Hundreds of citizens died and were injured as a result of the torrents of heavy rains that struck several Yemeni provinces during the past weeks, while thousands of families were affected, and thousands of homes were destroyed, including those of displaced persons, in addition to the destruction and damage of heritage and historical sites, according to official estimates.
Local authorities estimate that 130 people died and more than 120 others injured throughout the northern provinces of the country.
The situation in Yemen is described as the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, where about eight out of every ten people in the country are in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the International Organization for Migration.