SANAA, May 23 (YPA) – The United Nations has announced its intention to hold an international donor conference to confront the rapid spread of the Corona virus (COVID-19) in Yemen, which is suffering from a catastrophic health situation.
Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General Stephane Dujarric said a press conference held Friday that “the statement of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) organization on Thursday showed how dangerous the situation is, and why action must be taken quickly.”
Dujarric added that epidemiologists had already expected that the COVID-19 would spread faster and more widely with more lethal consequences in Yemen.
“We now have every reason to believe this is really happening in a society where there is neither protection nor control in many places,” he said.
He stressed that the United Nations is receiving disturbing reports such as what was stated in the MSF’s statement about the disaster of the health situation in Yemen and these reports come from all directions, including the local and international media, affected families, doctors and others.
The spokesman revealed that the UN would hold a conference of donor countries on June 2 to obtain pledges of two billion dollars, as the organization hopes that donors pledge generously, and that those pledges would be paid immediately.
“If these pledges are delayed, the United Nations will have to close many of the most important programs in the next few weeks,” the spokesman added.
Dujarric confirmed that the United Nations is eager to work with all Yemeni parties to do its best to contain the spread of the virus as much as possible.
The MSF mission in Aden province issued a statement Thursday warning of the rapid spread of the “COVID-19” epidemic and the absence of places in hospitals to examine patients.
The organization confirmed that its only clinic in the city of Aden received 175 cases within a week, 68 of whom died.
It added that many of Aden residents may die in their homes without accessing hospitals, 50% of which were destroyed by the war.