MOSCOW, Aug. 31 (YPA) – Russia called on Saturday for an immediate cessation of the war in Yemen, warning of the dangers of “dividing Yemen and heating armed confrontations in its south.”
“Those developments cause our serious concern”, Deputy Head of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s Information and Press Department Alexei Zaytsev said in a statement. “The escalation of armed confrontation in South Yemen and its transition to a new dangerous phase are prone with negative consequences not only for that country, but for regional security in general.”
The Russian official warned of the consequences of the continuation of war led by Saudi-Emirati coalition on Yemen. “Violence and disintegration of Yemen play into the hands of terrorist groups, who have solidified their positions and currently control about one third of the country.”
He called on all parties to stop the war immediately, saying “all parties to the conflict in South Yemen need to show maximum restraint in order to prevent further escalation of tensions and avert new deaths and destruction of civilian infrastructure.”
The Russian official stressed the futility of the continuation of the war in Yemen and the failure of the military option.
“At the same time, the situation can be stabilized in a sustainable manner only through negotiations involving all parties concerned and aimed at reaching compromises that take into account their legitimate interests and demands,” he said.
He demanded that the UN should play a central role in building a dialogue, confirming his country full support for the organization’s efforts to settle the military and political crisis in Yemen.
Influence conflict is raging in the southern provinces under the control of the Saudi-UAE-led war coalition with a direct US and British support. Both Riyadh and Abu Dhabi are providing their loyal militias with money and weapons and political, media and military cover in order to rearrange their influence in Yemen.
Various sources reported last week that UAE warplanes conducted a series of airstrikes on forces loyal to Hadi’s government in Aden province, in which over 300 people were killed or injured.
The UAE claimed that airstrikes were carried out “to protect the coalition forces from terrorist attacks,” while the United States supported the raids, claiming that it is” the right of every State to defend its interests against any risks threatening it.”